Monday, February 23, 2015

She Baked the Loaves and Dried the Fishes


            24 x 24 inch mixed media collage on birch panel
Copyright Robin Birrell 2015 - Do Not copy without permission

This is my latest large work for entry into the 10th International Art Competition for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The theme is "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus".  

  John 6: 9-14 tells of a lad who selflessly contributed his five barley loaves and two fishes to be used by the Savior, who miraculously fed the five thousand gathered to hear the Gospel message. This painting depicts the lad's older sister who, in my imagination, climbed into the foothills near Galilee to find her brother amongst the crowd and deliver the food she had lovingly prepared for him. 

 For this piece, I used whatever I felt like using at the time. It is a combination of acrylic, ink, colored pencil and, of course, Paper!

     

4 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to why you chose to make the girl a very caucasian-looking redhead instead of someone who is more likely to have lived in the region at the time of Christ's life? I see it so often with many LDS artists, Adam and Eve, Christ, etc. all appearing to be European, and I'd love to know what made you decide to portray her this way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent question, J ! When I start a new piece I always do extensive research. Peoples ethnicity, clothing of the time, customs and accessories are all important points to portray accurately. In my research about the people of Christ's time, I found that the Hebrew people commonly had one of two different "looks", either olive skin and darker, curly hair or fair skin and lighter hair. As you see from my piece, I chose to use the fairer skin and hair, partly because it happened to match the young woman who modeled for me and then just darkened the eye color a bit. I was able to leave her head bare because she is portrayed as an unmarried sister. In Christ's time, Jerusalem and nearby areas were part of a very internationalized Mediterranean world with a Roman governor and connected by active land and sea routes to Greece, Rome, North Africa, and Turkey, among other places. The population was multi-ethnic and I don't know what parts of that population gave us this particular follower. This makes it fun for me as the artist to use my imagination and just "go with the flow"! Thank you so much for your interest. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Robin, I saw your work at the art competition in Salt Lake at the Church History Museum. I would love to have this piece in my home! Are prints available for sale? I saw that some of your art is available on the Fine Art America website. Can you tell me which type of print best displays the colors and textures of your pieces - canvas, aluminum, framed print, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CamJennifer! Thank you so much for reminding me to activate that print on FineArt America. Various sizes are now at http://1-robin-birrell.pixels.com/featured/she-baked-the-loaves-and-dried-the-fishes-robin-birrell.html , All of the reproductions are pretty good about showing the textures up close. As far as the type of print, the acrylic and metal are very vibrant and I love that! The canvas or paper are beautifully produced as well and are great for a more traditional, framed look. It's really up to your taste. There is a "Contact Us" tab at the bottom of the site page. If you have specific questions about the look of a piece you're considering, they have excellent customer service! Again, Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete